Monday 4 June 2012

My First Bantu Knots


I always liked the look of the Bantu Knot style. However, until recently my hair was not long enough to do it. In March 2012, I accidentally realised that my hair was long enough to pull it off. I was actually just braiding my hair in big chunks in preparation for going to bed, when I found myself Bantu knotting it! As this was an accidental discovery the end product was not as neat as it could have been. But I decided to wear it for the week anyway.

I kept the style for seven days. I was pleasantly surprised by the way in which the knots stayed in place so effortlessly. I love this style because:
  • It’s very quick and easy to make (about 20 min)
  • Requires minimum maintenance (only moisturising spray)
  • I liked the way that it shapes my face, making it look quite round
  • Great protective style for the gym as it keeps my hair completely out of the way  
I have since done it again in a more planned and neat way. The Bantu Knots style is now my top rated protective style.  
How to do Bantu knots
  • Part your hair into sections and add your favourite moisturiser or oil ( I use my home made Shea butter, Jojoba and Coconut oil mix)
  • Make a two strand  twist, braid or coil (Bantu knots can be started with any one of these)
  • Hold your twist close to the scalp.
  • Use your index finger to keep the twist at its base while wrapping the rest of it around its base.
  • Normally Afro hair texture keeps the Bantu Knots in place. If this is not the case you can use a hairpin to secure the knot if does not hold. 
I found a couple of videos that demonstrates the above. The first one has short hair and starts her knots with two strand twists.  
The second has long hair and uses the coil method

No comments:

Post a Comment